- Firstly the collection of the stinging nettles. Most importantly WEAR GLOVES! Pick the top portion of the plant and be sure to pick them before they flower. Fill a grocery bag with the nettles, this will ensure you have plenty and even some spare to freeze like you would spinach to use later.
- Bring a pot of water to boil with some salt and remove the leaves from the nettle and drop into the pot and boil for a couple of minutes, this will remove the sting from the nettle. Make sure you drain thoroughly and set aside
- 1 cup of nettle leaves
- 8 eggs
- 250ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of feta (I use Persian Feta as it is much creamier)
- Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Optional – bacon or pancetta for the carnivores
- 1 1/2 sheets of puff pastry (or you could make your own)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line a greased tart/quiche tin with the puff and press it into the sides
- Baking it blind! Stab the bottom of the pastry with a fork and line with enough baking paper to cover the pastry (alternatively you could use a brown paper bag or aluminium foil shiny side down) and cover the base with clay/porcelain beads, 1 bead deep. Par-baking the base stops the pastry from being squidgy and wet when you add the egg mixture to it. If don’t have clay/porcelain beads no problem, use some dried beans instead.
- Put it in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile blend eggs, cream, mustard, salt and pepper either in your blender or with a whisk.
- Remove par-baked pastry from the oven and fill with the nettle, feta (optional bacon or pancetta)
- Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients.
- Place the chopped cherry tomato on top, this way when it cooks it will add some colour to the quiche for presentation
- Bake for 35-50 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. If it is browning too quickly, cover with foil. The middle may not be quite set, but it will continue to cook when you take it out of the oven.
- Let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving with a green salad.